- RegionCôte de Nuits
- Grape varietyPinot Noir
- Average vine age 30 ans
- SoilClay and limestone
- Average yield40 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential5-7 years
- Serving temperature 14-16°
- Nuits-Saint-Georges is the most southerly located village of the Côte de Nuits, to which the city gave its name and which constitutes the other half of the Côte d'Or. The commune produces almost exclusively red wines however there is a limited production of whites. The Nuits-Saint-Georges red wines are robust and elegant, they require some years of aging to reflect the finest expressions of the Pinot Noir. The name of Nuits-Saint-Georges is known worldwide, Apollo XV carried this wine into space and even gave its name to a lunar crater.
- FermentationTraditional in open vats
- Ageing10 to 12 months ageing in oak barrels, 20% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, French oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteOur Nuits-Saint-Georges 2016 has a beautiful intense garnet colour. Spicy notes emerge on the nose. The palate is ample and reveals notes of blackcurrant and almond. A wine with mellow tannins and beautiful length.
- Food PairingRed meat - roasted leg of mutton - mature cheeses
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 2016 - Wine Spectator - May 2016 - 93/100
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 2019 - 87/90 pts - Burghound April 2021
"Ripe aromas include those of plum, earth, dark currant and a whiff of the sauvage. The delicious, vibrant and precise medium weight flavors possess very good depth and reasonable persistence on the moderately austere and rustic finale." 2026+
- Nuits-Saint-George 2018 - 90 pts - Wine Spectator May 2021
An open red, whose black currant and blueberry flavors are allied to a lively structure, with firm, dusty tannins. Tar and earth add grace notes, lingering on the finish. Best from 2023 through 2036. — BS
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 2018 - Burghound.com, Allen Meadows - Spring 2020 - 90/100
This is also quite earthy with game nuances adding breadth to the various dark berry aromas that evidence a whisper of the sauvage. The rich and acceptably concentrated medium weight flavors possess a succulent mouthfeel before culminating in a palate coating and ever-so-mildly rustic finale. This is refreshing... 2024+
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 2017 - Burghound.com - USA - April 2019 - 90/100
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 2017 - James Suckling - USA - February 2019 - 91/100Very pretty red with spice, dried meat and dark fruit. Medium body and light tannins that are precise and focused. Shows tension. Just before bottling. Drink from 2020.
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 2017 - Wine Spectator - May 2020 - 90/100
A hard edge clips the cherry, strawberry and earth flavors, accented by a graphite note. On the austere side now, this is linear and taut, leaving a chalky, stony feel on the finish. Best from 2022 through 2036 - Bruce Sanderson
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 2016 - Wine Spectator - May 2016 - 93/100
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 2016 - James Suckling - February 2016 - 92/100A fragrant, black raspberry and cherry nose. Then a great combination of the firm tannins (which are typical for the appellation), generous fruit, bright acidity and minerality that carries the finish very nicely. Drink or hold.
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 2015 - Irish Examiner - December 2018 - "Loved it"
I tasted this wine earlier this year and loved it - yes it is expensive but it is Christmas! Brimming with earthy sweet red fruits, textured, hugely complex with lingering. (By Leslie Williams)
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 2015 - Wine Enthusiast - November 2017 - 91/100
The wine is structured with solid tannins and a foursquare character. Ripe fruits with plenty of balancing acidity give this wine its density and its crisp edge. (USA)
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 2015 - Wine Spectator - October 2017 - 90/100
A taut, wiry version, with chalky tannins fused to cherry and black currant flavors. Accents of earth and spice fill this out. Long finish. (USA)
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 2015 - Burghound.com - April 2017
Distinctly earthy and sauvage nuances on the solidly complex aromas of black pinot fruit, pepper and spice wisps. The sleek, precise and appealingly energetic flavors deliver equally good depth on the youthfully austere and rustic finale. 2020+ Allen Meadows (USA)
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 2014 - Burghound.com - April 2016 - 90/100
There is enough wood surrounding the gamy and intensely earth red currant aromas to remark upon. The medium-bodied flavors possess good mid-palate density while retaining solid detail and punch on the robust and rustic finale that delivers fine if not truly exceptional length. This is very Nuits in basic character and note that it will need a few years of bottle age to round off the somewhat rude tannins. /2021+
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 2014 - Wine Spectator - February 2016 - 91/100
Violet, black currant and black cherry notes pervade the Nuits-St.-Georges, whose texture is supple yet dense, while the well-integrated oak adds to the structure. By Bruce Sanderson (USA)
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 2013 - Burghound.com - Avril 2015 - 89/100Here too there is generous wood that carries with it menthol nuances that sit atop the otherwise
fresh and layered aromas of deeply pitched dark currant and strong earth. There is good punch and muscle to the supple,
round and nicely textured medium-bodied flavors that possess only average concentration but solid depth and length on the
mildly rustic finish.
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 2012 - Wine Enthusiast - December 2015 - 88/100There is some solid structure here, along with a tannic edge that marks out a wine for aging. This has plum skin and a dense texture that brings out a richness as well as the acidity that marks the vintage. It should be aged ; drink from 2017. By Roger Voss (USA)
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 2012 - Wine Spectator - Juin 2015 - 92/100Juicy
cherry and raspberry flavors are expressive, while the bright acidity and
civilized tannins add support. This firms up a little, staying balanced and
long, picking up spice accents on the finish. Best from 2018 through
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 2012 - Burghound.com - April 2014 - 89/100 - "Top Value"A pungently earthy nose exhibits plenty of sauvage character on the mostly cassis infused aromas. The supple and round medium weight flavors possess good volume and reasonably good complexity along with excellent persistence on the dusty and palate coating finish. While not possessing yet possessing exceptional depth for its level, the required underlying material appears to be present such that more should develop in time. Worth a look. 2019+ By Allen Meadows (USA)
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 2011 - Wine Spectator - June 2014 - 91/100Bright cherry and currant flavors ride an almost racy structure in this sleek red, while spice and mineral elements add interest. Stays intense and persistent on the finish. Best from 2016 through 2025. By Bruce Sanderson (USA)
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 2010 - Wine Spectator - October 2013 - 90/100The graphite and sage aromas give way to cherry and black currant flavors in this vibrant, succulent red. Well-integrated, offering a finish that lingers with echoes of fruit, spice and mineral. Best from 2015 through 2025.
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 2009 - Wine Spectator - December 2011 - 88/100Very pure, this cherry-and raspberry-flavored red is silky and elegant. There's plenty of structure on the back end, with moderate length. Best from 2013 through 2020. (USA)
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 2007 - Wine Spectator Online - 2010 - 89/100Black cherry and blackberry notes permeate this supple-textured red, which is rich for the vintage, with a juicy quality. Just tails off a little on the finish. Best from 2011 through 2019. 780 cases made. By Bruce Sanderson, USA.
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 2006 - Burghound.com - April 2008 - 88/100An unusually pretty nose for a Nuits villages sports notably earthy yet high-toned red berry fruit aromas that merge into relatively elegant medium-bodied flavors that possess good mid-palate fat and plenty of Nuits character on the solidly persistent finish that displays only mild rusticity. A quality villages. 2012+. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Nuits-Saint-Georges 2005 - Decanter - May 2008 - 3 starsDelicate raspberry nose, a touch of mint. Easygoing, suave fruit. Has freshness and accessibility. Medium length. From 2008.
- Nuits Saint Georges 2005 - Burghound.com - April 2007 - 88/100This is deeply pitched still with a classic Nuits nose of earth, game and underbrush adding nuance to the dark berry fruit aromas that complement the rich, round and equally earthy flavors that possess good acid/fruit/tannin balance and solid length fashioned in a forward and relatively accessible package.