- RegionArdèche - Coteaux de l'Ardèche
- AppellationIndication Géographique Protégée Ardèche
- Grape varietyChardonnay
- Average vine age 20 years
- SoilClay and chalk.
- Average yield45 hl/ha
- Cellaring Potential3-5 years
- Serving temperature 10-12°
- Maison Louis Latour is one of the most innovative producers in Burgundy whilst maintaining its traditional image. In 1979, with a view to expanding the business the valley of the Ardèche river with its clay and limestone-based soils was chosen as the ideal location to produce top-quality Chardonnay wines. The Grand Ardèche comes from the best vineyards, carefully selected every year when harvesting begins. The grapes are pressed and the must is placed immediately in oak barrels made by the cooperage at Latour, where the wine will age for approximately 10 months, like the great wines of Burgundy.
- FermentationTraditional in oak barrels with complete malolactic fermentation
- Ageing8 to 10 months ageing in oak barrels, 20% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, French oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteStill young this 09 has a pretty colour with green tinges. The bouquet reveals toasted bread notes and in the mouth it is rich, fat and smooth and lingers on the tongue. It is long in the mouth and with time this wine will really unfold. Tasted November 2010.
- Food PairingAperitif - charcuterie - shellfish - fish.
- Grand Ardèche 2009 - 2011 International Wine Competition - May 2011 - Bronze medal
- Grand Ardèche Chardonnay 2019 - Sommeliers Choice Awards - 96 pts
Pronounced aromas and flavors of toast, cedar, smoke, vanilla butterscotch, Meyer lemon, golden apple, and pear are perceived. A balanced wine with decent fruit flavors leads to a pleasant and fuller mouthfeel.
- Grand Ardèche Chardonnay 2019 - People's Choice Wine Awards - Finalist
Category: Easy Weekday Meals
- Grand Ardèche 2018 - Irish Times - September 2021 - "Great value"Owned by the Burgundian house of Louis Latour, the Grand Ardèche estate produces some very good Chardonnay, and this is the star turn. Lightly toasted hazelnuts and white flowers with succulent ripe apple fruits, and a lovely refreshing seam of acidity. Great value.
- Grand Ardèche 2018 - USA Wine Ratings - August 2021 - Gold Medal
- 2017 Grand Ardèche - Dayton Business Journal - February 2020 - "Great wines for Valentine's Day"
This wine is a good entry into the world of Chardonnay from France. It offers up apples, pears and spices in the mix of flavors and aromas, and would pair nicely with fish, chicken or other light dishes. (Don Baket, UK)
- Grand Ardèche 2016 - Harpers Wine Stars - November 2018 - 2 stars
- Grand Ardèche 2016 - Wine Spectator - November 2018 - Best value
Pretty, with ripe pear and apple fruit inlaid with light toasty hazelnut and brioche notes. Maintains good acidity through the finish for balance." - J.M.
- Grand Ardèche 2015 - Independent - UK - July 2018 - "Typical Burgundian white qualities"
Louis Latour Grand Ardeche Chardonnay 2015 displays typical Burgundian white qualities - rich, complex, buttery, with hints of vanilla, honeyed spice and apricots - at half the price. Perfect with roast chicken or a big baked fish, like a brill or sea bass.
- Grand Ardèche 2014 - Wine Spectator - Web Only - 87/100
Plump and friendly, with pear and melon notes backed by a light kiss of brioche on the finish. Drink now. (USA)
- Grand Ardèche 2014 - En Magnum - Déc 16 Fév 2017 - 14.5/20
Lovely ripe fruit, gourmand, generous, fresh pineapple, peach, fleshy mouth, rich finish, we feel a high maturity level, a certain power calling for lunch or dinner. A perfect match with food.
- Grand Ardèche 2014 - Tom Cannavan - August 2015 - "lots of fruits sweetness"
Creamy and verging on the tropical, with lots of fruit sweetness and richness on the palate, juicy with orange and ripe juicy apples, a strong lemony punch of acidity
- Grand Ardèche 2013 - Decanter Online - July 2015 - 91/100
Leesy, soft, stealthy aromas, with a concentrated, sustained palate, sappy balance and satisfying depth, length and structure. By Andrew Jefford (UK)
- Grand Ardèche 2012 - 2014 International Wine Challenge - May 2014 - Silver MedalElegant and fresh with balanced, attractive, creamy notes. Refreshing lemon pith finish. Elegant, stylish and very attractive. (UK)
- Grand Ardèche 2012 - Decanter Online - July 2015 - 89/100
The extra year in bottle has ripened and teased out the rich, lemony fruit. On the palate, by contrast, this is a little nervier and tangier than usual while retaining all the benchmark elegance of the series. By Andrew Jefford (UK)
- Grand Ardèche 2012 - Guide Bettane & Desseauve 2015 - 15/20
- Grand Ardèche 2011 - The Independent - December 22nd 2013 - "Wine of the week"From west of the Rhône, but a top-notch Burgundy in all but name and price. Complex, with typical ripe, buttery, toasty-fruit flavour, and just the right tinge of crisp apple acidity. Perfect with fish or shellfish and easily full-bodied enough for roast chicken or pork. By Terry Kirby (UK).
- Grand Ardèche 2011 - The Wall St Journal (UK) - August 2013 - "A real find'A real find for those who love the rich buttery style of Chardonnay found in the Burgundian village of Meursault but prefer not to pay their prices. This ripe, creamy wine is made to the west of the Rhone valley in the Ardeche (Will Lyons).
- Grand Ardèche 2010 - Decanter Online - July 2015 - 93/100
There's a powder-puff perfection to the scented lemon, while the palate seems to be reaching some sort of an apogee, too: pure, long, concentrated and chic. By Andrew Jefford (UK)
- Chardonnay Grande Ardeche 2010 - The Telegram - October 2013 - 15/"Very Good"The aroma is a melange of tropical and citrus fruit with spice, butter and vanilla overtones. A taste proves the wine to be full-bodied, almost creamy in texture, yet with enough fresh acidity to keep your interest through a lengthy finish.
- Chardonnay Grand Ardeche IGP 2010 - Under the grape tree - November 2013 - "Outstanding"A bit richer than the Ardeche, with hints of creamy peach, green apple and crème brulee.
- Grand Ardèche 2010 - International Wine Challenge (UK) - June 2012 - Bronze medal
- Grand Ardèche 2009 - 2011 International Wine Competition - May 2011 - Bronze medalNose of toasted nut and pear which is evolved on palate with addition of apricot and cream. Good length too. (UK)
- Grand Ardèche 2007 - Decanter Online - July 2015 - 92/100
Here's one for those nostalgic about ‘classic' Meursault, or who like well-aged Blanc de Blancs Champagne: mellow, glowing, full of sweet brioche and nuts and held in place by a twist of lemon peel. Resonant and long: at its peak. By Andrew Jefford (UK)
- Grand Ardèche 2007 - Jamie Goode's Wineanorak - April 2010 - 85/100Rounded, quite tight and fruity with nice acidity supporting the accessible fruit. Tasty.
- Grand Ardèche 2007 - Blackpool Gazette - April 2009 - "Aromas of blossom, citrus fruits and vanilla"Louis Latour Grand Ardèche Chardonnay 2007 is great for keeping it simple, the Ardèche delivering aromas of blossom, citrus fruits and hints of vanilla followed by crisp apple flavours with a squeeze of lemon.
- Grand Ardèche 2007 - The Wine Gang - September 2009 - 87/100Louis Latour makes its Vin de Pays des Coteaux de l'Ardèche in the same way as its Chardonnays in Burgundy, including ten months ageing in French oak barrels. The result is medium-bodied, with crisp apple and lemon fruit and toasty oak.
- Grand Ardèche 2007 - Guide Hachette des vins 2010 - "Coup de Coeur" - 2 starsThe tasting panel could not resist the charm of this Chardonnay with golden highlights. After ten months of maturation in oak barrels the wines nose has a fabulous aromatic richness; fruits, delicate hints of acacia, vanilla, coffee, toast... The harmony between wine and barrel is perfect, blending persistence in the mouth with a finale of delicious fresh brioche. To be savoured over the next two to three years.
- Grand Ardèche 2007 - Evening Standard - July 9th 2009 - "Lovely full, buttery fruit"The new vintage from this old favourite from Burgundian producer Louis Latour shows the versatility of French Chardonnay. From far south of its traditional home of Burgundy, this has lovely full, buttery fruit and nice use of oak, well balanced with acidity.
- Grand Ardèche 2007 - The Telegraph - September 25th 2009 - "Bright tropical fruit"A hefty, oaky style with bright tropical fruit, but well crafted, and just the wine for matching with a classic roast chicken.
- Grand Ardèche 2005 - Decanter Online - July 2015 - 88/100
The butter here is beginning to flirt with fudge; mellow, nutty and open, but probably at its best a couple of years ago. By Andrew Jefford (UK)
- Grand Ardèche 2005 - The Buffalo News - September 9th 2008 - "Very pleasant and well priced"The grapes were grown in the Ardeche River valley west of the Rhone River, and it's aged in used French oak barrels that previously held the firm's famed Corton Charlemagne. Nice elegant butterscotch nose, with nice medium bodied fruit in the mouth with a touch of lemon. Very pleasant and well priced.
- 2004 Grand Ardèche **- Appetite Magazine - Canada - October 2008 Imagine a country designation wine that is treated as if it were grown in one of the Grand Cru vineyards of the Côte d’Or. This wine offers excellent value for the price.
NOTES: Buttery with peach, sun-backed flavours warm with candy; a little too much caramel; soft, round texture.
- 2002 Grand Ardèche - Vinavisen Magazine - February 2005 - 5 stars :A fascinating and beautifully placid white wine with hints of apricots, vanilla and marzipan and a refreshing undertone of freshly cut grass. It gives a full sensation on the mouth, it's lengthy andd ends with a very pleasant dryness.
- 2002 Grand Ardèche - Deliaonline - October 2006 :Louis Latour Grand Ardèche 2002 is a smooth, full-bodied Chardonnay with hints of vanilla spice. This classic, oak barrel-fermented wine has an excellent balance of fruit and acidity, making it the ideal partner for such rich food as smoked slamon, foie gras and roasted meats.
- 2002 Grand Ardèche - Decanter World Wine Awards - Decanter Magazine - November 2005 :Buttery, nutty, rounded full-bodied style, controlled oiliness, good finish. Commended.
- 2001 Grand Ardèche - Hachette Vins de Pays Guide - Edition 2004 - 2 stars :This Chardonnay 2001 is a shining example : an inordinately rich wine maturedfor ten months in oak casks to yield a pungent yet elegant nose, with subtl notes of spice, vanilla, exotic fruits, and honey. A thoroughbred in every sense, powerful and fleshy, that should be cellared for at least two years before being enjoyed in conjunction with a fillet of turbot or grilled fowl.
- 2001 Grand Ardèche - The Doncaster Star - February 25th, 2004 :This rich white wine, packing a hefty 13.5 per cent alcohol, is a well balanced, creamy, full bodied example of how the French are able to ignore the traditional rules and produce top quality vin de pays.
- 2001 Grand Ardèche - Manchester Evening News - February 13rd, 2004 :It's a classy number, too, smooth and full-bodied with an excellent balance of fruit and acidity and hints of vanilla spice.
- 2000 Grand Ardèche - Business Plus - IrelandLouis Latour is a name that is trusted, and its 2000 Chardonnay, Grand Ardèche is a mellow and silky wine that has a little more dimensionality than many of the Chardonnay offerings out there. This wine would go well with white meats and poultry as well as making a fine sipping wine.
- 2000 Grand Ardèche - Ten Dollar Tastings - March 2007 :It's a full-bodied wine that is bursting with exotic fruits - pineapple, in particular. The oak imparts a creamy vanilla and toffee understone, especially in the long finish. It's complex and my wife and I had fun describing it; shepraised its spiciness and the butterscotch on the back of the tongue; I liked the melon and lychee notes and a faint hint of smokiness. I'm sure he age has mellowed the wine, but given Latour's reputation, I'm sure that never vintages also shine.
- 2000 Grand Ardèche - The London Mag - July 2003 :Full-bodied with spicy vanilla and luscious exotic fruits en the nose, this splendid chardonnay from the Ardeche region of the South of France is smooth and buttery on the palate, and ideal for summer drinking.
- 2000 Grand Ardèche - Sunday Independant - November 2002 :The rich lemon gold hue invites you to sniff the ripe open of fresh tropical and citrus fruit aromas with integrated smoky vanilla oak flavours. A warm creamy texture coats the mouth with layers of ripe fruit balanced by freshness and a long smooth finish.
- 2000 Grand Ardèche - Blackpool Gazette - June 28th, 2003 :A full bodied smooth wine, with hints of exotic fruit, vanilla spice, made from some of the finer.
- 2000 Grand Ardèche - Oxford Times - June 2003 :Although not from Burgundy, this is a richly honeyed, toasty, toffeed chardonnay with ripe fruit, power and plenty of oak treatement.
- 1999 Grand Ardèche - Guide Hachette (France), Coup de Coeur :The famous Burgundy négociant, Louis Latour, has owned vineyards in the Ardèche since 1979. It has made a thoroughly engaging Chardonnay.Oak-aged for ten months, the wine has a clear, golden-yellow colour and a powerful, elegant bouquet of vanilla, exotic fruits, honey and subtle spices. Wonderfully rounded and fleshy on the palate, it displays honey and gingerbread flavours that persist in a long and stylish finish. This classy wine epitomises the perfectly-oaked Chardonnay.
- 1995 Grand Ardèche - Decanter - July 1998 :Vegetal, complexing, voluptuous, honeyed and ripe on the nose. Rich, ripe and vegetal again on the palate with a little vanilla of new oak and acidity.
- Grand Ardèche - The Wine Enthusiast - Terry Robards:Latour's Grand Ardèche is a rich and classy Chardonnay that puts many far more expensive Brugundies to shame.
- Grand Ardèche - The Washington Post - Ben Gilberti:Grand Ardèche is a stunner. Full of dead-on Burgundian aromas of toast, fresh hay and pear, it could easily pass for a Meursault-Village in a blind tasting.
- Grand Ardèche - La Revue du Vin de France:Incredibly golden robe, vanilla bouquet; buttery, with a luscious palate. Full, with plumpness, quite prolonged fruitiness. The finale makes a comeback with woody notes. Formulated upon international critique.