Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru"Les Chalumeaux"
- RegionCôte de Beaune
- AppellationPuligny-Montrachet Premier Cru
- Grape varietyChardonnay
- Average vine age 35 years
- SoilLimestone and scree
- Average yield40 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential5-7 years
- Serving temperature 12-14°
- Home of some of the world's most extraordinary Chardonnays including the famous Montrachet, Puligny-Montrachet is the geographical middleman of the white wine villages, bordered by Meursault to the north and by Chassagne-Montrachet to the south. Located just next to the vineyard "Les Truffières", almost at the top of the hill, the vines "Les Chalumeaux" grow high up on limestone and marl soil with an ideal south-easterly exposure, catching as much sunlight as the day-time permits. These vineyards have belonged to the Chalumeau family or be exploited by it, hence its name.
- FermentationTraditional in oak barrels with complete malolactic fermentation
- Ageing8 to 10 months ageing in oak barrels, 40% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, French oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteThis Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Chalumeaux" 2019 has a golden colour and an intense nose with aromas of yellow peach and brioche. Round and ample, it reveals notes of almond and yellow fruit in the mouth. Long-lasting aromas and freshness on the finish.
- Food PairingSole Meunière - roasted squab with grapes - fish - shellfish- cheese
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Chalumeaux" 2018 - 93 pts - Wine Spectator 2021
A big, opulent style, this white dishes plenty of peach, lemon and apple flavors, framed in toasty oak. It's inviting, like a soft pillow, yet bright too, with fine harmony and a long, spice-infused aftertaste. Drink now through 2027. — BS
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er "Chalumeaux" 2018 - Tim Atkin - January 2020 - 90/100
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Chalumeaux" 2018 - Burghound.com - Allen Meadows - June 2020 - 89-92/100
Here too there is an interesting mintiness present on the mildly exotic white and yellow orchard fruit aromas that include those of passion fruit, peach and melon. There is once again good energy to the nicely detailed flavors that possess a succulent mid-palate along with good length on
the mildly warm finish.
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Chalumeaux" 2018 - William Kelley, Wine Advocate (USA) - February 2020 - 91/100
The 2018 Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Chalumeaux bursts with a generous bouquet of pear, peach, confit citrus and flowers. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, rich and fleshy, with a generous, open-knit core of fruit.
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Chalumeaux" 2018 - Jancis Robinson - January 2020 - 15.5/20
Cask sample. Aromas of ripe citrus and oaky spice. Creamy, rounded, the grainy texture of fresh pears. (JH, UK)
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Chalumeaux" 2017 - Burghound.com - USA - June 2019 - 92/100
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Chalumeaux" 2017 - Jancis Robinson - January 2019 - 16/20
Quite pure and linear. Lots of refreshment value. No excess alcohol or oak. Just a very straight, slightly simple white burgundy. Pretty pure. Drink: 2019 - 2025 (cask sample)
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Chalumeaux" 2016 - Jancis Robinson - January 2018 - 17+/20
Dry, fibrous palate with intense fruit - compact and taut and actually quite heavy. Lovely spicy oak element on the finish. Broad, balanced, lengthy and classic. (RH) Drink 2019-2029
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Chalumeaux" 2016- Inside Burgundy, Jasper Morris - January 2018 - 90/100
Pale colour (...) This is quite stylish, fine boned, with a nice tingling finish. (tasted prior to bottling)
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Chalumaux" 2014 - Wine Spectator - November 2016 - 92/100
Buttered pastry, peach, vanilla and baking spice flavors fold into the creamy texture, with spice notes building as this reaches the long finish. Drink now through 2024. 170 cases made. - Bruce Sanderson (USA)