Beaune 1er Cru"Grèves"
- RegionCôte de Beaune
- AppellationBeaune Premier Cru
- Grape varietyChardonnay
- Average vine age 35 years
- SoilChalk and clay
- Average yield40 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential5-7 ans
- Serving temperature 12-14°
- Found amongst the northern vineyards of Beaune, this excellent site overlooks the medieval fortified town of Beaune, that remains to this day the wine capital of Burgundy. Burgundy vineyards named Les Grèves generally designate soils formed of loose rock, fine scree, sand and gravel which are particularly favourable to the cultivation of vines. Our vineyards are located on the gentle slopes of the hill of Beaune next the vineyard of Les Teurons. The clay and limestone soils of Les Grèves suit the Chardonnay grape and contribute to making this wine one of the fullest and richest of the Beaune appellations.
- FermentationTraditional in oak barrels with complete malolactic fermentation
- Ageing8 to 10 months ageing in oak barrels, 100% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, French oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteThis Beaune 1er Cru « Aux Grèves » 2019 presents a pale-yellow colour with beautiful golden nuances. The nose offers white flowers notes with a light hint of vanilla. On the palate we sense nice aromas of grilled almond and brioche. This is a fresh and ample wine with good length on the finish.
- Food PairingFish - shellfish - sweet and savoury dishes - Soumaintrain cheese
- Beaune 1er Cru "Grèves" 2018 - Burghound.com - Allen Meadows - June 2020 - 89-91/100
An agreeably fresh nose combines citrus-inflected notes of spiced apple and floral wisps. There is fine richness to the round, delicious and reasonably vibrant middle weight flavors that deliver good length on the balanced finale where a hint of wood slowly emerges.
- Beaune Premier Cru "Grèves" 2017 - Wine Enthusiast - January 2020 - 92/100A subtle nose on this wine unites subtle Mirabelle and gentle citrus. The merest hint of honey chimes in, casting a richer light over the rich but toned texture of the palate. This wine is a wonderful textural experience. Fruit and roundness, freshness and subtle smoke recede to leave the limelight to that lovely mouthfeel. Drink 2025-2035.
Anne Krebiehl MW
- Beaune 1er Cru "Grèves" 2017 - Wine Spectator - July 2019 - "Elegant profile"
This is plump and lightly smoky, exhibiting apple, lemon and spice flavors. The elegant profile and fresh acidity make this an ideal aperitif. Drink now through 2022. — BS
- Beaune 1er Cru "Grèves" 2015 - Burgundy Report - December 2016 - "Big"
A nice big aromatic, some oak hints but really plenty of opulent (in a good way) and interesting aromas. Big, silky, I would again say opulent, weighted fruit flavours. Lots of finishing vivacity, indeed minerality, but from the start to the middle I'd really like a little more energy to carry the wine. Bill Nanson (UK)