Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru"Les Chaumes"
- RegionCôte de Nuits
- AppellationVosne-Romanée Premier Cru
- Grape varietyPinot Noir
- Average vine age 30 years
- SoilClay and limestone.
- Average yield38 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential7-10 years
- Serving temperature 15-17°
- Vosne-Romanée, famous over the world for its Grand Crus, also produces some Premier Crus of an outstanding quality. "Les Chaumes" is located underneath the plot of "Aux Malconsorts" on the same altitude as the village of Vosne-Romanée and North of Nuits-Saint-Georges. The iron-based soil is ideal for growing Pinot Noir. The grapes reach their maximum maturity and offers wonderfully aromatic wines. The term "Chaumes" has the same origin as "Charmes", it indicates that it was unplanted land before becoming a vineyard.
- FermentationTraditional in open vats
- Ageing10 to 12 months ageing in oak barrels, 40% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, French oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteAromas of candied black fruits with notes of musk and vanilla. Lively and very well balanced in the mouth. To keep 8/10 years.
- Food PairingBeef "Mironton" - rabbit with chanterelles - venison with cranberries - mature cheeses
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Chaumes" 2021 - James Suckling - July 2023 - 93/100
An excellent example of this Vosne-Romanee 1er Cru. Plenty of forest berry fruits with hints of bitter chocolate and licorice as well as smoky
and spicy oak. Then comes the surprisingly ripe and focused palate to which the fine tannins add good tension. Drinkable now, but best from 2025.
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Chaumes" 2020 - James Suckling - 96/100
Tantalizing spiciness - allspice, clove and a touch of cinnamon - is married to a deep well of blackberry fruit. Enormous concentration, but this is the opposite of over-extraction. Really blows out at the finish, shooting off into the distance. Drinkable now, but best from 2024.
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Chaumes" 2016 - James Suckling - February 2018 - 92/100This is a decadent and juicy wine with blackberries and blueberries and meat at the same time. Medium- to full-bodied, layered and pretty. Tight and medium tannins at the finish. Need two or three years to soften. Try in 2020.
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Chaumes" 2010 - Tom Cannavan's wine-pages.com - August 2015 - 93/100
Fantastic concentration immediately with tight black fruits, a charming hint of cherry and floral character, but also slick and vanilla-touched, just hints of truffle and game well into the background. Structured and full on the palate, there's a glossy sheerness of fruit but a plum flesh depth, almost balsamic and liquoricy, but the tight core of tannins and juicy acids helping to propel the finish. Concentrated, ripe and structured Burgundy, with time ahead of it. (UK)
- Vosne Romanée 1er Cru "Les Chaumes" 2010 - Decanter - December 2012 - 91/100Voluptuous, oaky nose. Seductive and perfumed cherries. Fine-grained tannins, concentrated, with ample spice and vigour. Powerful and muscular, with high alcohol but fruit balances it. Good length. Drink 2013-2038. By Stephen Brook (UK).
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Chaumes” 2006 - Burghound.com - April 2008 - 89/100A subtly spicy nose of mostly red berry fruits trimmed with discreet notes of soy and hoisin open up to nicely rich and round middle weight flavors that possess a relatively accessible mid-palate yet tighten up quickly on the firm and dusty finish. This should be good for up to 5 to 7 years of improvement. 2012+. By Allen Meadows (USA).
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Chaumes" 2005 - Jancis Robinson - January 2007 - 16/20Very dark, blackish cirmson. Again a slightly raw note on the nose. Very dry and dried cherry flavours. Not Opulent! a Bit though at the moment. Will it ever lose this supercharge of tannins?
- Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Chaumes" 2005 - Burghound.com - April 2007 - 87/100A fresh, spicy and ripe nose features airy yet earthy black and blue pinot fruit and a hint of violet that deftly blends into rich, velvety and sweet flavors. I would be inclined to drink it early for its fruit. 2011+