Volnay 1er Cru"Les Mitans"
- RegionCôte de Beaune
- AppellationVolnay Premier Cru
- Grape varietyPinot Noir
- Average vine age 25 years
- Average yield35hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential7-10 years
- Serving temperature 15-17°
- This wine originates in the township of Volnay just south of Beaune and is a neighbour of Pommard. The vineyard is located in the middle of the hillside between Volnay and the main road "D974" Beaune - Châlon-sur-Saône, hence its name, in Old French "Mitan" meaning "middle". This wine from Domaine Louis Latour, fine and elegant, is among the best wines of the Côte de Beaune.
Vinification & Ageing
- FermentationTraditional in open vats
- Ageing10 to 12 months ageing in oak barrels, 35% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, French oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteOur Volnay 1er Cru « Les Mitans » 2019, dressed of a dark ruby hue, offers a fresh and woody nose with black cherry notes. The palate is fresh and ample, unveiling cherry and almond aromas on silky tannins. Nice length on the finish.
- Food PairingSuckling pig - knuckle of veal - mature cheeses
- Volnay 1er Cru "Les Mitans" 2015 - Burgundy Report - December 2016 - "Lovely wine""
A big and open aromatic - perfumed with flowers - it's lovely. Direct, intense, beautiful red fruit, really achingly good in the mid-palate. Slowly fading and narrowing but persistent all the same - just lovely wine! Bill Nanson (UK)
- Volnay 1er Cru "Les Mitans" 2012 - Wine Spectator - Juin 2015 - 89/100A pretty red, showing floral, strawberry and earth notes. Spice accents emerge as this firms up on the moderately long finish. Stays elegant and focused. Best from 2017 through 2026.
- Volnay 1er Cru "Les Mitans" 2010 - Wine Spectator - October 2013 - 91/100Supple and elegant, with light spice notes shading the cherry and floral flavors. Features good structure, showing vibrant energy and solid length. Best from 2015 through 2026.
- Volnay 1er Cru "Les Mitans" 2010 - Decanter - March 2013 - 16/20 (86/100)Perfumed, floral and ripe cherry nose. Energetic, good texture and density. Slightly green tannins. Broad wine with precision, depth and a good future. To drink: 2016-2024
- Volnay 1er Cru "Les Mitans" 2009 - Wine Spectator - June 2012 - 93/100A beam of pure cherry, with raspberry and floral accent, highlights this effusive red. Vibrant, fruity and beautifully put-together, yet also built for aging. Fine length. Best from 2015 through 2032. (USA)