- RegionCôte de Nuits
- Grape varietyChardonnay
- Average vine age 25 years
- SoilClay and limestone
- Average yield50 ha/hl
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential3-5 years
- Serving temperature 12-14°
- Marsannay is the village which marks the northern gateway to the Côte d'Or on leaving Dijon, the capital of Burgundy and home to the Ducs de Bourgogne. This village marks the beginning of the Route des Grands Crus which follows the N6 highway through the Côte d'Or. Marsannay received its Appellation Contrôlée as recently as 1987 in recognition of the consistently high quality of its wine.
- FermentationTraditional in stainless steel vats, temperature controlled with complete malolactic fermentation
- Ageing8 to 10 months ageing in stainless steel vats
- Tasting NoteThe white Marsannay 2009 is gold-green in colour. The bouquet is floral, it is rounded in the mouth with a lovely minerality on the finish. Tasted March 2011
- Food PairingAperitif - shellfish - fish - white meat
- Marsannay Blanc 2021 - Bill Nanson Burgundy Report - January 2023
Good width of aroma, slightly cushioned with a good perfume. Direct, precise, delicious wine of fine complexity - simply excellent - almost chalky finishing. I'm not the biggest fan of Marsannay Blanc but here's a wine that could convert me! Not yet bottled.
- Marsannay Blanc 2020 - James Suckling - 92/100 pts
An ideal introduction to the chardonnays of the Cote d'Or. So much flint, lemon and lemon-blossom aromas filling out the generous and lively body. Impressive textural complexity on the mid-palate. Very elegant, long finish with tantalizing minerality that pulls you back for more. Drink or hold.
- Marsannay Blanc 2020 - Burghound.com - 86-89/100 pts
Aromas of smoky reduction push the underlying fruit to the background. More interesting are the slightly more vibrant flavors that are also rich and succulent, while displays slightly better length on the balanced, clean, and dry finish. 2023+
- Marsannay Blanc 2019 - James Suckling - 91/92 pts - July 2021
An impressive wine for this underrated appellation, this has exactly what you expect from a good white Burgundy, marrying floral, ginger and candied-citrus character with a medium body, some nice mid-palate richness and mineral acidity. The touch of oak supports the cool, elegant finish nicely.
- Marsannay Blanc 2018 - James Suckling - 91/100
A lovely white with mango and pineapple character, as well as pear. It's medium-bodied and layered with creamy, softness to the lively finish. Drink now.
- Marsannay blanc 2017 - Burghound.com - USA - June 2019 - 90/100
- Marsannay blanc 2017 - James Suckling - USA - February 2019 - 90/100Bright and fresh white-peach and citrusy nuances here. This has great freshness. The palate delivers a very fresh, crisp and citrusy thread with great tension. Drink now.
- Marsannay blanc 2017 - Jancis Robinson - January 2019 - 16/20
Fairly rich. Racy and lively with good zesty acidity as well as good fruit concentration. Drink: 2020 - 2025 (cask sample)
- Marsannay blanc 2014 - Burghound.com - June 2016 - 89/100
There is good freshness and intensity to the lightly mineral-inflected flavors that possess a seductive mouth feel while offering a refreshing if not especially complex finale. This too should drink reasonably well shortly after release.
- Marsannay blanc 2011 - Wine Enthusiast - October 2014 - 87/100Good fruit, acidity and great freshness all come together in this delicious,
accessible wine. Fruity and fragrant, it has a light touch of acidity at the
end. Drink now. By Roger Voss (USA)
- Marsannay blanc 2011 - Wine Spectator - September 2014 - 90/100Lemon cake, stone and chalk aromas and flavors highlight this lively, mouthwatering white. Balanced and expressive, presenting a lingering, mineral-tinged finish. Drink now through 2018. (USA)
- Marsannay blanc 2008 - Newmarket Journal - August 2012 - "A fresh appeal"An under-rated village, at the gateway to the Côte d'Or. Louis Latour's Marsannay Blanc has a fresh appeal (un-oaked) with a white flower fragrance. Keep for 2/3 years and this wine should fill out somewhat. (UK)
- Marsannay blanc 2008 - International Wine Competition 2011 - May 2011 - Bronze medalYouthful, stony nose. Crisp, fresh, youthful, almost approachable but will improve.
- Marsannay Blanc 2007 - Wine Spectator Online - 2010 - 88/100A broad, weighty white, creamy in texture and exhibiting quince, almond and herbal aromas and flavors. This lacks a little grace, but there's no shortage of punch. Drink now through 2013. 800 cases made. By Bruce Sanderson, USA.
- Marsannay blanc 2007 - Western Daily Press - Laying Easter vino plans by Ned Helley - April 3rd, 2010 - "lush, mineral and substantial"A classic white wine recommended by its maker as the ideal match for another Easter lunch option roast pork. Grand Burgundy house Louis Latour says of its Marsannay Blanc 2007 "It's waxy lime blossom flavours cut through the fat of crispy crackling, while the palate show its subtlety and finesse, and also works with an apple sauce accompaniement." A brave claim but fair comment. I'd say, I love this lush, mineral and substantial burgundy and believe it very well illustrates that white wine and white meat are an entirely legitimate match. But I would still take it easy on the apple sauce.
- Marsannay blanc 2007 - Wine Gang - April 2010 - 89/100There's a little note of honey to the nutty Chardonnay fruit here, with a pleasing suggestion of sweet, fresh earth. The palate is dry but has very nice fruit. Apple and lemon, and an under-ripe melon note, with a cool apple acidity tightening and extending the finish.
- Marsannay 2007 - Burghound.com - July 2009 - 86/100(100% chardonnay fermented and raised in stainless steel). A pretty and expressive nose that evidences ample citrus influence leads to intense if not particularly complex flavors that are dry, clean and crisp. This would work fine as a summer sipper or wine by the glass choice. 2010+
- 2006 Marsannay blanc - The Buffalo News - USA - September 9th 2008:Made from 100 percent chardonnay This is a reasonably priced introduction to white burgundies. Nice complexity with medium-bodied tropical fruit, good underlying minerality and nice length in the mouth.