Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru"Les Chalumeaux"
- RegionCôte de Beaune
- AppellationPuligny-Montrachet Premier Cru
- Grape varietyChardonnay
- Average vine age 35 years
- SoilLimestone and scree
- Average yield40 hl/ha
- HarvestHand picked
- Cellaring Potential5-7 years
- Serving temperature 12-14°
- Montrachet, Puligny-Montrachet is the geographical middleman of the white wine villages, bordered by Meursault to the north and by Chassagne-Montrachet to the south. Located just next to the vineyard "Les Truffières", almost at the top of the hill, the vines "Les Chalumaux" grow high up on limestone and marl soil with an ideal south-easterly exposure, catching as much sunlight as the day-time permits. These vineyards have belonged to the Chalumeau family or be exploited by it, hence its name.
- FermentationTraditional in oak barrels with complete malolactic fermentation
- Ageing8 to 10 months ageing in oak barrels, 40% new
- BarrelsLouis Latour cooperage, French oak, medium toasted
- Tasting NoteThis Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Chalumeaux" 2015 has a charming pale yellow color. The elegant nose offers floral notes, vanilla and toasted almonds. The mouth is round with a pretty woody aromas with fruity notes of blackberry and apricot. Beautiful tension in the final.
- Food PairingSole Meunière - roasted squab with grapes - fish - shellfish- cheese
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Chalumeaux" - Jancis Robinson - January 2019 - 16/20
Quite pure and linear. Lots of refreshment value. No excess alcohol or oak. Just a very straight, slightly simple white burgundy. Pretty pure. Drink: 2019 - 2025 (cask sample)
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Chalumeaux" 2016 - Jancis Robinson - January 2018 - 17+/20
Dry, fibrous palate with intense fruit - compact and taut and actually quite heavy. Lovely spicy oak element on the finish. Broad, balanced, lengthy and classic. (RH) Drink 2019-2029
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Chalumeaux" 2016- Inside Burgundy, Jasper Morris - January 2018 - 90/100
Pale colour (...) This is quite stylish, fine boned, with a nice tingling finish. (tasted prior to bottling)
- Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Chalumaux" 2014 - Wine Spectator - November 2016 - 92/100
Buttered pastry, peach, vanilla and baking spice flavors fold into the creamy texture, with spice notes building as this reaches the long finish. Drink now through 2024. 170 cases made. - Bruce Sanderson (USA)